After months of exploring how top chefs prepare Simmons Catfish for their menus, I decided to bring it home and make the perfect party food to serve at my Super Bowl party this Sunday. After all, Simmons Catfish has been a longstanding partner of Eat Y’all, and we’ve toured their farm and processing facility – and are even looking forward to taking a group of chefs there this spring! I personally vouch for this product.
So, with a crowd of friends coming over for the big game, I knew I wanted to serve something tasty that was outside of the sphere of the usual chips and dips. But who doesn’t love to nervously dip when their team is in a tight spot? Lucky for them, “Harry’s Famous Grilled Catfish Strips” will be just the ticket for Super Bowl survival.
These grilled Simmons catfish strips have gourmet pizzazz whether enjoyed hot, room temperature, or even out of the fridge cold. Kids and adults alike love them, and since the recipe only has six ingredients – it’s the perfect short list for a busy home cook. And did I mention? They’re GRILLED! It’s hard to believe something this dip-tastic could be healthy, but y’all, they are. Now that’s what I call the trifecta of party food perfection!
RECIPE: Harry’s Famous Grilled Catfish Strips
- 5 pounds Simmons Catfish strips or fingers
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons (more/less to your liking) June Bugg Rub Original or a similar all-purpose or Creole spice seasoning
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Sugar Taylor Sauce Creamy Dipping Sauce or Ketchup (for dipping)
- Place frozen catfish in a zip bag with oil and seasoning for at least one hour on countertop or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium high heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Grill strips for 3-5 minutes. Turn and cook about 5 more minutes.
- Serve strips warm or at room temperature. Dip into ketchup or Sugar Taylor Sauce. Store leftover cooked catfish strips in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to one week.
I bought my catfish strips at my local grocery, but even more conveniently, you can buy them online and have them shipped to your directly to your door! They’re frozen, so it’s easy to portion out what you need, and save the rest for later. Win!