During the World Food Championships in Orange Beach, Alabama, Mike Wagner, owner of Mississippi Blue Rice, shared Orange Beach Curried Rice Salad in the Tasting Village to much acclaim. It’s been our most requested recipe from that event, so we asked Mr. Wagner to share his recipe with our readers just in time for holiday parties and celebrations – for which this dish is pure perfection. It’s beautiful, savory, heart-warming and regal – perfect for the celebratory season that’s upon us.
Wagner comments that the Orange Beach Curried Rice Salad “is always well received with vibrant color, texture, and tastes carried from every trade wind.” We couldn’t agree more!
The high tide of nutritional ingredients in this recipe raises all flavors, making nutritional first mates of roasted sweet potatoes and curried Missimati Bayou Bouquet Fragrant Brown Rice, golden raisins soaked in Madeira and honey, pistachios, and orange extract along with orange peel.
The salad pairs swimmingly with pork, beef, fowl or fish, or sails solo as a vegan dish if cooked with vegetable stock – which is how we served it at the World Food Championships.
Recipe: Orange Beach Curried Rice Salad
- 1 ¼ cup ecogrown Missimati Bayou Bouquet Fragrant Brown Rice
- 2 ¼ cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp Madras curry powder
- 1 packed cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup Madeira
- ¼ tsp orange extract
- 1 tbsp dried orange peel
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 large rib celery, split lengthwise and chopped
- 10 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1 tsp dried crushed mint
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped in ¼ inch thick pieces about the size of a nickel
- ½ Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F for roasting sweet potatoes.
- In medium saucepan, toast rice kernels in 2 tbsp olive oil, then add stock, bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover with tight fitting lid, and cook for 40 minutes. When cooked, set rice aside to cool.
- While rice is cooking, prepare sweet potatoes to roast. In a large bowl, toss chopped sweet potatoes and chopped Vidalia onion in 2 tbsp olive oil until vegetables are coated. Add sea salt, dark brown sugar, and cinnamon and toss to uniformly coat. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray and spread sweet potato mixture at uniform depth. Bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, but not too soft. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Once the rice is cooled, add 1/4 cup olive oil, cumin, and Madras curry powder, stir with fork to blend well, and set aside.
- Combine honey, Madeira, and orange extract in large microwaveable bowl, add raisins, and microwave until just heated; remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Add dried orange peel, black sesame seeds, chopped celery, chopped scallions, crushed mint, and pistachios to raisins and mix well.
- Combine the cooked rice, the sweet potato mixture, and the raisin mixture and blend well. Serve slightly warm, at room temperature, or chilled. ENJOY!
Of course, the secret ingredient in this dish is the Missimati Bayou Bouquet Fragrant Brown Rice, which compliments the other flavors and holds up to the ingredients – and a long party buffet line. Order Missimati Bayou Bouquet Brown Rice online or request it in your favorite market or gourmet store.