Eating your veggies has never been easier with the next in our series of chef-driven blender recipes, Cauliflower Puree and Roasted Florets, courtesy of Chef Cory Bahr of Nonna and Heritage Catering in Monroe, Louisiana.
Cory Bahr was recognized in 2014 and 2015 as Food & Wine’s “People’s Best New Chef” in America, and in 2015 Taste of the South named him in their “Taste 50” list. He’s a Chopped! Champion and former King of Louisiana Seafood. In 2016, Cory was named a “Chef to Watch” by Louisiana Cookin’ magazine.
With a love for the best, simple, Southern ingredients and a cooking style that he defines as “Delta cuisine” it’s easy to be drawn to his food. His Cauliflower Purée and Roasted Florets recipe pairs well as a potato substitute with Osso Buco (roasted veal shank) as well as roasted and grilled meats and hearty fish filets, such as with Simmons Catfish Delacata.
Eat Y’all is looking forward to several future collaborations with Chef Cory, so stay tuned to see what other goodies he has in store for you! For now, let’s blend, y’all.
Recipe: Cauliflower Puree and Roasted Florets
By Chef Cory Bahr
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Heat oven to 450ºF.
- Cut entire head of cauliflower in half. Remove stem and outer leaves. Reserve and set aside about 2 cups of florets from head for roasting.
- Slice remaining cauliflower into small pieces and place them in a large saucepan over medium heat with milk and butter; cover. Stir frequently to emulsify (mix well) butter and milk as the mixture heats up.
- Season cauliflower with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until cauliflower is tender and breaks apart easily, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer entire contents of saucepan to a blender and puree cauliflower mixture until silky smooth. Adjust seasoning as desired.
- Place reserved cauliflower florets on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, toss. Roast until just starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Serve meat or fish of choice over warmed cauliflower puree with roasted cauliflower florets on top of the protein. In photo, dish is shown with roasted red peppers and red shallots and some fresh arugula accompanying the roasted cauliflower florets.