This quick and easy peanut recipe may be the easiest and most fun you’ll ever serve to a casual party, tailgate or backyard picnic or barbecue. This crowdpleaser is courtesy of our friend, Chef Cole Ellis, owner and chef at the Delta Meat Market in Cleveland, Mississippi. Chef Cole served these whole peanuts in brown paper bags at the 2015 Atlanta Food & Wine Festival, much to the delight of festival-goers.
Want to follow Chef Cole’s lead? It’s easy!
There’s no precision to this recipe – just some fun with peanuts!
Recipe: June Bugg Rubbed Whole Peanuts
- Whole Roasted Peanuts, in shell
- June Bugg Rub, or your favorite all-purpose seasoning
- White distilled vinegar
- Grab a stack of brown paper lunch bags at your local grocery or dollar store.
- Purchase or make a stamp for your favorite team to personalize the bags in advance of gameday or add a monogram to the bag or a themed stamp fitting your party theme.
- Buy Whole Roasted Peanuts (in-shell) – you decide how many you’ll want to serve. These are typically available in bulk in the produce section of grocery stores and farmer’s markets starting around August of each year.
- Using a large bowl, fill bowl ⅔ full with whole, in-shell peanuts.
- Sprinkle approximately ¼ cup of vinegar on peanuts, tossing constantly until no liquid remains in bottom of bowl (shells will soak it up).
- Liberally add June Bugg Rub or another seasoning to your taste on peanuts and toss to liberally until all seasoning adheres to shells.
- Divide seasoned peanuts into brown paper bags to serve.
>> Want more recipe ideas perfect for a backyard party? These tailgate food ideas also make great summer party picnic bites while we wait for football season to return!