This Thanksgiving, along with our old favorites, we prepared several new recipes to share using Mississippi Blue Rice! Here’s the last in the series of five recipes. It’s a super creamy and savory soup that makes a great addition to Thanksgiving dinner. We plan on cooking this one after Thanksgiving with our left over turkey. It’s going to be great to eat while we break out the Christmas decorations and hang out with the family! Enjoy.
Creamy Turkey and Rice Soup
Creamy Turkey and Rice Soup – for a nice easy family meal with the leftover turkey.
- 1 lb. turkey
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 quart low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 small can corn
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt as needed
- 1 cups of Beulah Land Long Grain Brown Rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water (for cooking the rice)
- Fill pot with 2 cups water, bring to boil. Add rice and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- While rice cooks, dice turkey into bite sized pieces. Melt butter in a medium size pot and add carrots, onion, celery, parsley, pepper, and garlic powder. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium, add flour and cook 3 more minutes. Add stock and stir. Add cooked turkey and stir. Reduce temperature to low.
- Once rice is done, add frozen peas, corn and cream to the pot. Add salt if needed. Once warm, add rice and serve.
In lieu of a comments section, we encourage letters to the editor. We read every single one and are happy to reply. We also really appreciate when you share on your favorite social media using the buttons below.