When we visited with Iron Chef Cat Cora on our Eat Y’all #FiringPintoFork radio segment, the celebrity chef and Mississippi native shared the secrets to the sauce she uses to kick up her favorite grilled meats. We’re sharing a recipe for grilled lamb here, courtesy of Chef Cora, but as you can here on the radio segment, this recipe also works well with other grilled meats including steak and venison.
Don’t know what chimichurri sauce is? Listen to the Eat Y’all radio segment to hear Chef Cat Cora describe the origin and many uses for this easy, go-to sauce she calls a favorite.
Recipe: Basque-Rubbed Grilled Lamb Chops with Feta-Chimichurri
- 1 loin lamb chops, about 1 inch thick
- Extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried orange rind
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill.
- Brush each of the chops on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Rub with the entire Basque blend until well coated. Cover, set in refrigerator, and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side for medium-rare lamb.
- Serve immediately with the chimichurri sauce (recipe below) either beside the lamb or spooned into small ramekins and set on a plate.
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 fresh ancho chile, with seeds, coarsely chopped
- 1 fresh Serrano chile, with seeds, coarsely chopped
- ½ TBS salt
- ¾ cup finely minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup finely minced fresh oregano
- ¼ cup of minced basil
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Greek feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Prepare the green sauce (chimichurri) by combining the garlic, bay leaves, ancho, jalapeno, and salt with a small amount of vinegar and water in a blender until a smooth sauce has formed.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the parsley, oregano and basil.
- Whisk in the vinegar and olive oil until well combined, and crumble in feta cheese for extra interest.
- Set aside and refrigerate while the lamb chops (or other meat) are grilling.